Thursday, May 26, 2005

My American Flyer

Did you ever see that movie? American Flyers? Kevin Costner? Rae Dawn Chong? Two brothers come together and take part in 'The Hell of The West'; a grueling three day bicycle race through the Rockies! Not a great movie. It's watchable... but I digress.

I've been looking into getting a bike lately. I'd like to get a little exercise during the Summer. When the weather's nice I'd like to enjoy my commute. I'm tired of spending the money on CTA. Riding the sofa hasn't maintained my rock hard abs the way I hoped it would.

The problem is I don't have a ton of cash to spend right now. Hmmm, what to do? What to do? I went to the bike shop and (Holy Crap!) does that Huffy come with a Hooker? Heart transplants are less expensive! I checked out Craig's List but can't walk all the way out to Winnetka to pick up a bike.

This morning I rummaged around in the basement of my apartment building, underneath the stairwell, behind a curtain of spider webs, and under two inches of dust and what do I find? An old fashioned, blast from the past ten speed, and two layers of gunk, dust, and years of neglect! The tires were flat. The chain was rusty and, I ain't gonna lie, it's pretty beat up! But it's obviously been left behind; abandoned. Now it's mine.

I wiped it down... 5 times. I took it to an gas station, and pumped up the tires. I adjusted the seat. Off I went! Peddling down the street, cobwebs trailing behind me, whirling in my jets-tream! I rode to work and my commute which can take anywhere from 25 minutes to over an hour on the bus took me 12 minutes! Of course the bike could disintegrate beneath me at any given moment and I'm pretty sure the brakes won't last the week but man it felt good to ride my stolen... obtained... appropriated bicycle.

I don't believe in Peter Pan
Frankenstein
Or Superman!
All I want to do is
Bicycle
Bicycle
Bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!
-Queen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

American Flyers is a great movie. Seriously. You've got to work on your taste.