Wednesday, May 25, 2005

It's a dud.

I have this thing that I do. It may be silly but I do it anyway. When more than 50 people have told me, "Oh my God, you have to see this movie! You'd love it! It's F'n Hilarious! Its right up your alley. This is one of the best movies ever made, its so boss!"... I don't. I won't see that movie, not out of spite, but out of a desire to see a movie with unbiased eyes. Also, most of the time a movie doesn't live up to all the hype... it couldn't possibly. I'll wait until all of the Hub-bub has died down and then maybe I'll check out that movie if nothing else is on TV.

So last night we rented Napoleon Dynamite. It was alright. It was okay. It wasn't this monumentally funny movie which I had been told to see. It was kind of boring, and while, I'll admit, I snickered once or twice I didn't really laugh at all. I did, however, appreciate the presence of John Gries, Uncle Rico, who played Lazlo Hollyfield in Real Genius (an actual funny movie) and Kip, the older brother was slightly amusing.

I just don't understand what all the raving was about. There are better underdog movies. Rocky. Rudy. Joe Dirt. There are better high school movies. Sixteen Candles. Mean Girls. Slumber Party Massacre. There are better geek movies. Weird Science. Trekkies. Phantom Of The Opera.

It wasn't a bad movie. It was just mediocre, and mediocre isn't funny. Maybe next time I'll rent Open Water. That should be good for a laugh.

2 comments:

LC Greenwood said...

You didn't get it. Or relate to Napoleon on a personal level. Or say things like "Decroded peice of crap." or "Can I use your guyses phone for a sec?"
Or maybe you did. In that case, watch it again and remember what junior high was like.

Anonymous said...

You know what, I didn't think OPEN WATER was remotely what it was hyped up to be either.
Justin