Monday, May 16, 2005

I Feel So Grown Up.

I Dread Mondays! It's amazing!

After years of serving and bartending in the restaurant business and working weekends, odd hours or whenever I could get shifts I now understand what it's like to live for the weekends. The Monday through Friday work week can be nice. Stable. Reassuring. When Friday evening hits you feel liberated! Your work is done. Two whole days off; hopefully. But then Sunday morning as you sleep in, get up early to attend Church, or stumble home from some anonymous bacchanalian boink-fest you think, "Oh no, I have to get up and go to work tomorrow!" Then the rest of your weekend loses the magical glow that it had possessed prior to your realization.


For instance, this past Saturday I closed a children's theatre show I've performed in for the last eight weeks, I was supposed to hang out with a visiting friend (Signals got crossed.), and Sunday I went to the Sox game with my cousin to watch my talented girlfriend and her work group, The Navy Pier Players, sing the National Anthem... Not to mention I got to see my home team, the Baltimore Orioles, beat up on the Chicago White Sox 6 - 2! It was a good weekend but,like I said, Sunday it dawned on me that my weekend was drawing to a close. That soon enough I would have to drag my but out of bed and psyche myself up for another five days of slaving away for The Man until my next weekend offers me yet another temporary escape. It's all just a tad bit depressing.

Is this what my parents and millions of real people with real jobs have known all along? Is this what growing up means? I can't even spend my weekends bumming around with my girlfriend because she works a Wed- Sun work week. We don't have days off together just to sleep in, catch a movie, eat junk food, and chill. Is this the price we pay?

I used to like Mondays. They were the beginning of a new week. Now I hate Mondays. They are the beginning of a new week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out baby! No worries....Fear Factor is on tonight!

LC Greenwood said...

Yeah dude...it's REAL life. Welcome to it.

speak the truth in love said...

Don't be scared good friend. Everything has a price. The fee is not as high as it seems.....
Justin