Sunday, May 22, 2005

It's Official!

I'm an addict!
Don't cast your stones at me. Who among us is perfect? Who hasn't been clobbered by an overwhelming dependency? Freud. Ray Charles. Anthony Keidis. The former Mr. Halle Berry. Gary Busey. The list goes on an on.
Drugs.
Alcohol.
Fried Foods.
Gambling.
Women.
Reality Television.
Clay Aiken.
Then you have my undoing; my albatross.


Katamari Damacy!
No, it's not contagious. No, I won't go blind. No, I didn't catch it from a lady of questionable morals... It's a game for the Playstation 2 and it is video heroin, let me tell you! It's originally from Japan but has gained popularity in the states.
You are the pint-sized Prince of All The Cosmos and your father [You guessed it] The King of All The Cosmos has gone off on a bender and accidentally destroyed all of the stars in the sky. It is your duty to rebuilt the Heavens by guiding your Katamari [a colorful orb] around different levels of play and picking up more mass by absorbing items in your way all the while listening to a Japanese techno-Pop soundtrack. You start off small, on the first level you're rolling around a desk and picking up thumbtacks, erasers, cough drops, etc, but later on in the game you're rolling over cars, houses, livestock, buildings and even islands. The graphics are crazy. The music is snappy, and the game play is downright mesmerizing.
I've rebuilt almost everything except for the moon, and I keep playing levels to make sure I get the highest score possible. I catch myself humming the music, and I've even considered getting a panda with flames shooting out of its butt as a child holds on for dear life tattooed on my own ass. I have a problem.
The capper was waking up from a nap this afternoon and realizing that I'd been playing in my dreams. Controlling the Prince and Katamari through my mental powers. Rolling through ponds. Hunting through the school yards. Decimating cities. All from the comfort of my bed; unconscious.
I'm pathetic. I can't stand to be around myself. I'm worthless and weak! Even now I feel the siren song of the playstation calling to me from the other room. Tempting me. Daring me. Haunting me.
I have to go... um, I need to, eh... walk the car... throw out the dog... wash the garbage... Don't Judge Me!

1 comment:

speak the truth in love said...

About 8 years ago, my lovely wife bought me a Playstation. I used it quite a bit before the kids came. I know I could spend hours per day gaming if the rest of life didn't interfere. Now what has allowed a resurrection of the old joy is my daughter. In an attempt to rationalize her need for good hand eye co-ordination, and problem solving strategies, I have introduced her to the "Tomb Raider" series. She loves to play. I am just letting her do the training mode stuff to keep her away from too much of the violence, but she really enjoys being able to control her own little character on TV. It is also good for she and I to have the time doing something together that we both enjoy. Oh, it also lets me play video games again. Yay!
Justin