Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Can't sleep!

When I was in high school I averaged like 1& 1/2 hours of sleep a night. If I was lucky. I was a bit of an insomniac, I guess. I'm not sure cause I could definitely sleep during school, just not at night as I lay awake in bed shaking my legs, tossing and turning, watching the clock night after night.

Then in college I could sleep anytime, anywhere, through anything. I told myself I was just catching up from high school. I pulled only 1 all-nighter while I was in school. It was on a stage design project, and the only reason I had to stay up all night was because I'd lost my patience and stepped on the project... ten times.

Lately, I've been having trouble sleeping. I'll go to bed and lie there and I just can't fall asleep. I'll be dozing at the TV, nodding off while reading a book, or wiped out from a long day but when I crawl into bed, suddenly I'm wide awake! My mind is racing 100mph!
I'm stressing about being unemployed, about my debt, about my dirty apartment, about the state of the world, about who played henchman #7 in BatMan Begins.
I worry about my shortcomings as a person, a writer, a lover, and a boyfriend.
I revisit old scripts in my head. I edit. I erase. I start anew. I brainstorm on problem areas. I rework background stories, character development, awkward moments, weak endings, etc.
After a while I'll quietly get out of bed and tip toe out of the bedroom. Sit at my computer and stare blankly at the screen for a half hour or more. Everything I was planning, brainstorming, changing, writing, and envisioning is no longer in my head. From the time it's taken me to sneak out my bedroom and sit at the computer my mind has become a total blank. WTF?

So I'll turn on an old movie until I get sleepy. I'll open a book and read until I start to nod off. Then I'll crawl into bed with my blissfully unaware girlfriend and listen to her softly snoring and hope that my brain has slowed down enough to allow me some shut eye.

Oh well, at least I can sleep in! That's the good thing about being unemployed.

*Update: Several job interviews later I have a few 2nd interviews scheduled this week and it is a possibility I'll be working by this time next week. Unless of course 3rd interviews are required! Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: