Monday, January 05, 2009

I Finally Finished Moby Dick

I've tried in the past and quit 40 pages in... This time I was determined. It wasn't easy. It seems as if I've been reading it for months. I took it along on my winter break, and couldn't find the time to read, nodded off during chapters or struggled through page after page of descriptions on the whaling lifestyle.


-But it's a classic!


So what? It's not the most entertaining book. I mean, come on, the whale isn't even sighted until page 576... the book ends with an epilogue on page 603. Ahab isn't even introduced until after over a hundred pages. Don't get me wrong some chapters flew by; short, and action-packed. Other chapters seemed to take days to read; short, unbelievably detailed and boring.


But now I can say I've read it. Good for me. I found the below quote interesting.

'There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.'


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, you're one step closer to being a man ;)