Saturday, January 31, 2009

Don't You Judge Me.

Sometimes I still buy comic books. And by 'sometimes' I mean I'm kinda on a first name basis with the comic store owner, he keeps a folder for me, and I get emailed his weekly newsletter. I don't have a $50 a week habit like some people I know but let's face it comics aren't cheap these days. (When I was 'collecting' as a child I would pay for my comics with pocket change. I remember when I thought it was outrageous to pay 75 cents for a new title. -I sound like a grandfather, don't I?) Anyway, I go in every few weeks and see what there is.

Sometimes I buy a comic for nostalgia's sake. There's a new mini-series The Haunted Tank. I remember a former run of this title and thought I'd check out the new one.

Sometimes I get suckered in by a suggestion of the owner. He'll say, "Dude have you read the new Hellboy? I know you dig those comics. Check it out bro."

Then there are the times when a major 'event' is happening in the comic book world and I don't want to be left out of the loop. "What's this 1985 title all about? I wonder?"

But now I'm starting to get annoyed with the industry.

Why, you ask? (Thank you for humoring the little geek inside me who still loves the frosted side.)

Because they're trying to to gouge my pockets. For instance, this past year a certain comic book 'Universe' was having yet another in a long line of crises. This crisis promised to be the final one; the Final Crisis, you might say. So it's supposed to be a 7 part mini-series. Great 7 issues spread out over 7 month's or so; fine!

Wrong! Issue 7 just came out and I realize something is amiss. I feel like there are parts of the story missing. Here's the catch. Comic companies today sell you on a big event like this, claim a mini-series, and then include several other 'tie ins' to the title. Understand?

No? Okay, this 7 issue mini-series is better understood if you also buy a one shot title that supplements the story between issues 3 and 4, then you have to read a few issues of a Batman tie in at some point to find out what happened to the caped-crusader after he was captured, and finally it is important to also purchase a 2 issue 3-D Superman title to understand where the Man of Steel disappeared to before finally reappearing in the climax of the original mini-series you were trying to read in the first place. Not to mention the other titles that have been born from this Final Crisis. It's ridiculous.

Now I know you maybe be saying to yourself, "A grown man buying comics is ridiculous." But I say to you that grown men, and women are the only one's who can afford to buy comics these days. It's not for children anymore. What child do you know could afford to plunk down $2.99, $3.50, and sometimes $4.99 for a comic book title. $5 comic books? That's insane.

So what's my point? I don't really know. This post is really for those people who keep harassing me about having children. Lay off, I can't afford a kid right now I have to find out what really happened to Wolverine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Pressure...but if you wait till you can afford kids, you'll never have any....No Pressure. Just your Mother In Law chiming in. Luv Ya.....No Pressure.