Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Money For Nothing

"I Should Have Learned To Play The Guitar!
I should Have Learned To Play Them Drums!'

Yesterday, as we were walking out of a little coffee shop around the corner, I happened to bump into an old work buddy. I used to work at a crappy little coffee shop, no not that crappy little coffee shop, well, okay, so I've worked at a few coffee shops. (Get a theatre degree. It helps!) We always see each other around the neighborhood. While I doubt we'll ever be anything more than just old work buddies I think he's a cool kid.

Anyway, this old work buddy would leave the job from time to time and go on the road with his band. I think he plays bass. I've never actually heard his band. A few months ago I bumped into him at a neighborhood bar after his band had played The Metro. We chatted for awhile, and it turns out he had just returned from touring Australia. Australia! How bad ass is that. I asked, "Are you still at the crappy little coffee shop?" And he drops the Australia news.

I was envious!

So we start chatting... Dude is leaving for Japan in a couple weeks for a 'mini' tour. Japan!

Why didn't I try and get into the music biz?

Okay, there was that one time in fifth grade when my brother and I, were going to start a band with the Colton Brothers. None of us played any instruments, well actually, I'd had 2 years of the trombone, (Chicks love a brass man!) but we were determined to Rock N Roll! We lip-synched songs from Motley Crue, Poison, White Snake, even Europe. We even had some kick ass names picked out. Dreadnoughts of Rock! Scott & The Demon Spawn! Psoriasis! Who knows? If we'd stuck with it, bought instruments, taken music lessons, put time in the studio, and survived at least one major addiction maybe, just maybe I'd be going on tour. Psoriasis would sweep across the nations of the world like a really stinky fart, the kind that gets into your bed sheets and lingers for days! Oh, yes we would've been Awesome!

No comments: