Monday, June 13, 2005

Searching

You get all dressed up. You smooth down your cowlick. You print out some resumes. You hit the streets, bursting with energy, and optimism. You canvas the area.

"Hello, I was wondering..."

"Are you accepting applications..."

"Yes, hi, I was curious..."

"I saw in the paper..."

"I don't suppose..."

"Thanks anyway."

Suddenly, you're drained. All of your energy, positivity and good feelings are gone. Disappeared. You start to feel overwhelmed. The heat. The walking. The rejections. The prospect of having to start at the bottom at a new place. Everything just starts to weigh you down. Your steps become smaller. The sweat stain on your shirt gets larger. Your patience shrinks. Your feeling of worthlessness hangs over you like a cloud, shadowing your every move. You even start to think back to college and how you could've, possibly, gotten more out of your time there. Sure, you've got a degree but you've accomplished exactly jack squat since and you're still stumbling through your days wondering when you'll figure it all out.

Do you remember those career counseling sessions you had in school when you were younger? You answered questions, and they told you what jobs you would be good for. You know it's funny, I can remember the name of the custodian at my elementary school, Mr. Butler, but I'll be damned if I recall what career I was well-suited for. Mmmm, maybe I should be a custodian...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little bird told me to tell you that the new DQ by you is hiring Managers and such. You'd definitely see more of Zenna and I working there...