Friday, June 03, 2005

My Morning Thus Far

So I decided that I needed to stop by Dunkin' Donuts. We went out last night for the first time with my brother and sister-in-law, and while I had a pretty tame night I was still exhausted this morning. So I wanted some caffeine.

It was packed, as it always is in the morning, and I resigned myself to the fact that I would be waiting for awhile. Several seconds pass as I contemplate my order. The door behind me opens, I hear a sharp inhalation of breath, a softly muttered curse, and the door shuts again. I absentmindedly turn around and see a young lady exiting the store. I guess she couldn't wait. Oh well, I tune out again. The young lady turns and looks at me over her shoulder. I'm in a daze thinking to myself, 'Donut? Bagel? Regular Coffee? Hazelnut?'. She glances at me again, and I realize she must know me so I focus and see {Drum Roll, Please!...............................} the girl who's responsible for me losing my last job. The job I had for close to five years. If you don't know that story, don't worry, it's not worth repeating.

Anyway, I'm 93% sure it was her. She looks very similar to millions of other young ladies in the city, but the way she scurried off, looking over her shoulder, into her car after walking in behind me leads me to believe it was her. She must've really wanted donuts cause she went to the drive through. I wait...

Then I start thinking about how losing the last job, while upsetting at the time and the financial struggles I've endured since then have been the opposite of fun, was probably a blessing in disguise. I had become complacent. I hated the job but was comfortable, and could BS my way through week after week, month after month of slinging stir-fry into the troughs of the unwashed masses. Losing the job made me get off my keister and try knew things, contemplate my direction, and reevaluate my goals. So then I thought about my current job aggravation, I mean situation, and it comes to me; I don't need this job either. There's other jobs I could be doing. I definitely am hoping to one day achieve a level of success where I can work for myself, so any job until then is probably just going through the motions to pay bills. Takes a lot of the stress out of this waiting game I'm playing. If the raise I was promised doesn't arrive by a certain date I'll turn in my notice, hit the pavement and find another bill-paying temporary job to kill the time.

Wow, all this came to me because of the almost, not quite an encounter with some girl who I've resented for some time. The little voice in my head said, "Maybe she did you a favor. Maybe you're better off. Maybe we want a medium coffee/w cream & sugar, and a strawberry frosted donut!"

No comments: