Saturday, June 11, 2005

Mi Amigo

So I stopped in this bar around the corner from our apartment. Not to drink, not to watch the Cubs game; just to say hi to a friend of mine who works there. We used to work together in the same restaurant. He's a cook. Anyway, I haven't seen him in a couple months and his wife just recently had a baby girl. I stopped into congratulate him. We talked for awhile, inquired about old friends, mutual acquaintances, significant others, etc.

Eventually the conversation ended and I started to go.

"Hey, why don't you get a job here?" my friend asked.

"Eh, I'm still up in the air about what I want to do. I'm not sure if I want to go back to bartending," was my asinine reply.

"Just part-time. We could always use help. I'll talk to the boss," my friend offered.

"Maybe. Let me think about it. I'll stop in later."

What's there to think about? My friend has worked there since the bar opened; they lured him away from his other job. The owners trust him. He trusts me. He thinks I could get work. Am I so attached to the my current job, and the frustration I've been dealing with lately to accept an offer for help from a friend? I'm contemplating finding a new job anyway... what's the problem?

Maybe I'll go back in and fill out an application.

No comments: