Sunday, May 28, 2006

Did you see The Davinci Code?

Albino Monks? Conspiracy theories? Secret Societies? That guy that was in Forrest Gump? Complicated Codes? What did you think?

Here's a code that isn't so complicated.

When someone walks into a restaurant, looks around, realizes that there are plenty of empty tables because it's not that busy, and then says, "You know what? We're going to just sit at the bar?" Just sit at the bar is code for I'm not planning on tipping much and don't want to be bothered by a real waiter.

It's true. Argue with me all you want.

My years in the industry have convinced me that people think that they can tip less at the bar. Maybe it's because the bartender is busy cutting fruit, working the service bar also, or has an entire bar to attend to... who knows. It might not even be a conscious decision, but it's true almost every single time. I bartend, and even I think, somewhere in my mind, I'll just have a beer or two and an appetizer, where as if I sat at a table I might feel obligated to spend more, and then of course tip more.

You want to sit at the bar?

Fine.

You plan on skimping on the tip?

Okay, but don't call me buddy and act like I should feel privileged to serve your cheap ass!

No comments: