Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th!

It's July again and once again, we celebrate our country's independence with fireworks. Saturday night our neighborhood had a fireworks show. Sunday we drove down to North Beach to enjoy a day on the Bay, stood on the dock and watched the fireworks compete with the thunderstorm that was blowing through. Tonight we're off to visit some friends who're throwing a little 4th of July get together - I'm not sure if there will be fireworks but I kinda expect a few.

Ummm... okay I have to interrupt, and rework this post to report that we just got home from our friends' house and the fireworks were amazing. Amateur fireworks but holy crap they were impressive tonight in Londontowne. It was just people shooting off from their docks, public beaches or sailboats but there were fireworks everywhere for over 45 minutes. 3 guys seemed to be in contention for master of ceremonies but there were at least 3 times as many people firing off fireworks of all sizes and descriptions.

I was giddy. There were so many bright colors and loud explosions that I didn't know where to look or what to say except, "Oooh! Aaaah! Wow, look at that!" Afterward I realized that I had probably just seen several times my annual income in fireworks from people who were just celebrating being American! Must be nice to be so patriotic and have such a large disposable income.

No comments: