Sunday, March 02, 2008

Damn My Lobster Grip

Today I went to the firing range with my best friend to shoot off a couple rounds on his new 9mm hand gun. It's from Czechoslovakia! It's pretty bad ass if you're into guns; many people are. The range was full. I saw young men, old men, hunters (I'm guessing they were hunters from their clothing and ponytails.), couples, and even a few dad's with their young children. Everyone was their with one purpose in mind. We all wanted to shoot a deadly weapon at a paper target. *

I'm not that good a shot. It's been over ten years since I last held a gun and apparently, according to the information on my hunting targets, I have a Lobster grip. That means I squeeze too hard on the gun and most of my shots pull down and to the right of where I aim. It happened a lot.


My best friend, though, is pretty good for being a new gun owner. He has good grouping, and very few of his shots went astray (less than mine). We spent some time at the range and then left feeling a little tired and sore. My arm still feels a little numb.

* TARGETS: There were bull's eye targets like the one we started on, hunting targets and then, of course, you have the human targets. Some of these include human silhouettes, cartoonish portraits of thugs, or even skeletal terrorists. I think the most disturbing thing I saw today was a man and his 10 year old child shooting at a skeletal Osama Bin Laden - complete with beard, sunglasses, turban, and a machine gun. (We too ended up shooting at the skeletal terrorist target, but that's okay because it made us giggle... oh yeah, and we're not minors.)

No comments: