Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Honor System

Last night we went to have dinner with our friends and their children. Such a welcoming family; we always have a good time. Anyway, the daughter, I believe she's eight, was being punished for school problems and had her TV watching privileges revoked for the day. She was upset, as children are when their precious TV is taken away, but was making the best of the situation.

Later in the night we all settled down on the sofa to watch a video from the parents' recent cruise. The daughter excused herself for obvious reasons. Halfway through the video I started to wonder if the daughter was actually in the other room obeying her parents. There was a corner in the hallway and I scoped it out earlier, if I was going to sneak up and watch TV unobserved this would be the perfect spot. I imagined a much younger me commando crawling down the hall, heart pounding, shallow breaths wheezing out as I crept closer to the corner in order to sneak a peek at the forbidden images flickering across the television.

I was positive that the daughter was up to some mischief. She was being too quiet in the other room. I snuck out of the room and found her lying on the rug in the other room waiting patiently. I was amazed that she hadn't even thought about sneaking a peek at the boob tube.

Was I such a disobedient punk when I was child? Is she that honest and trustworthy? Have children changed so much?

What I didn't tell you is that inevitably I would have been caught watching TV from the hallway. Either I would've gotten caught creeping into position, or I would've been successful and kept pushing the envelope; trying again and again until I was busted. The threat of being caught was half the fun.

No comments: