Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Day Late...

Should've thought about it yesterday but I missed it. Today I was checking the news and there I saw a blurb about the Challenger Space Shuttle. Yesterday was the anniversary of the tragedy. JANUARY 28th 1986, the Challenger exploded 73 seconds after lift off killing all seven astronauts aboard.

I was sitting on the Principal's bench, punishment for being disruptive in class, and from my perch I could see into the front office where they were watching the shuttle launch. I watched the shuttle explode, and sat in shocked horror. I was ten years old, and, at the time, my dream was to be an astronaut. I don't remember the walk back to class, or even the bike ride home that day. I do remember coming home and my mother was sitting in front of the televisionwith tears in her eyes.

It's hard to believe that it has been over 22 years since the explosion. The two most replayed news footage clips I remember from my childhood are 'Joe Theisman's Leg' and 'The Challenger Explosion'. To this day both images still haunt me.

No comments: