Friday, December 31, 2010

The year In Review (2010)

Let's look back at the year 2010 and hit some of the highs and lows of the last 365 eays, shall we?

1) Polar Bear Plunge - This past January I, along with hundreds of other brave souls, jumped into the Chesapeake Bay in the middle of a snow storm! I raised several hundred dollars for the Maryland Special Olympics and froze my butt off! It was amazing: amazingly bad weather, amazingly cold, and amazingly fun!
2) Frozen - I only acted in one theatrical production during the 2010 calendar year and that was Colonial Players of Annapolis' production of 'Frozen' by Bryony Lavery. I played an unsavory sort of character, and the play was very dark and depressing. We opened late due to the severe winter weather but the production was well received and even started some discussion of possible awards. We're still waiting to see if that pans out.
3) Ivymount - In 2009 I left my teaching job at The Ivymount School, in hopes of returning to Chicago. Instead I stayed local and found myself working several low-paying jobs, and wishing for something more fulfilling. I eventually called up Ivymount, started substituting regularly and then was offered a full time contract as an assistant teacher. Many things have changed in my time at the school, and I miss the Expressive Arts teaching position (Music/Drama) but I am happy to be working. I am happy to be back in Special Education and I am happy to see the students everyday.
4) Taxes - We got whored! Recently, I discussed our tax woes with a relative and this relative said to me, "How can you guys owe so much, you don't make anything?" That was exactly our question at the time. Apparently, we both had worked contracted jobs during the previous year and hadn't put aside enough money to cover the taxes owed ob those jobs... completely our fault. Still sucked being told we owed that much money to the IRS when we barely make enough to cover our bills.
5) 35 - In 2010 I turned 35 year old. It wasn't a big deal. I just turned another year older and mourned the passing of my younger years.
6) The Wrong Package - This past July I had another script of mine produced for a theatrical production. 'The Wrong Package' debuted as part of the Colonial Players of Annapolis' One Act Festival. It was directed by a friend of mine, a very talented director, and reader of this blog. Some things worked somethings did not. It's always interesting to see my words come to life on stage. I was happy with the production.
7) Chicago - Also in July, Sara and I took a quick road trip to Chicago for a wedding. We had a great time! We stayed with my brother, Bert, and his wife, Stephanie, who live in our old neighborhood. We got to see some old friends, visit old haunts, and enjoy the city we both miss so much.
8) Minnesota - In August we flew to St. Paul/Minneapolis area to visit the Patsy clan. We were in town for the In-Laws 40th Wedding Anniversary, and my Mother-in-Law's birthday! We visited with family, and friends, sat out by the pool and Sara even took me to the Minnesota State Fair for some fried foods, and fun!
9) Department Change - Whilst in Minnesota I received a phone call from my boss. Long story short: I was asked to move over into a different department at school. I had been working with students with Asperger's Syndrome, and was enjoying my job. I had developed a great relationship with the staff, and students. I was being asked to move into the Post High School department and work as a one to one with an older student who would be working out in the community a lot, and getting ready to graduate in another year. After my employment problems of the past year, I was just happy to have a job I enjoy and so I accepted the change. It's been an interesting change in schedule, methods, and mindset. I still enjoy my job.
10) Car - We bought a car! That's right, we finally gave in and bought a car. For the past year or so it's been a joke with us as to which would fail us first; Sara's car, my car or our computer. Turns out Sara's car was 1st to go. So we traded in her clunker and got a nice used KIA Rio5. (See my December posts.)

So to review, many things happened in 2010. It was an eventful, not always fun, or pleasant year. It wasn't as bad as 2009 but it still could've been better. We're still paying off tax debt, now compounded with car payments, and trying to stretch our paychecks longer than they'll allow. We're still looking for the answers. We're still asking the questions. We're hopeful for 2011.

No comments: