Friday, April 03, 2009

April Fools A Few Days Later

The phone rang as I was wrestling with my morning commute. It was the brother. He was disappointed. He had checked my blog in the morning expecting to see an April Fools prank in the works. (I often times try to honor the occasion with a joke or two.) This year I woke up almost an hour late for school, flew through a shower, and tore out of my neighborhood. No time for a prank.

He was disappointed. The conversation eventually turned to other topics. His kids and their germs. Work. Traffic. Spring Break. My brother and his family are heading out of town to a time share somewhere in VA. A week away. Good for them. Too bad for my brother that their vacationing in a dry county. They'll have to pack a cooler full of beer and hope it last the week. Or drive to the next county to restock their fridge.

'What? Mom didn't tell me that! Man, that sucks.'

You know what really sucks? Calling me to complain that I've dropped the ball and neglected my trickster duties, and then falling for a my 'dry county' joke. (The same conversation! In the same conversation I fooled your gullible ass into believing that you'll be stuck in a dry county for a week.) Hook, Line & Sinker!

So I left the punchline hanging in the air. I never told him I was kidding. My mother laughed. My sister-in-law called me to ask if I was ever going to let him in on the joke. We both agree, it's funnier if I just let it go until he reads about it here after returning from vacation in that 'dry county'. Granted... not the most intricate of deceptions but if you know my brother this one will hit him where it hurts!

I'm sure he'll say he saw through the ruse, never really believed it. The fact that he mentioned it to his wife later proves otherwise, and I'm sure his liquor store receipts would sing another tune.

No comments: