Monday, April 13, 2009

"Well, hello stranger..."

"... haven't seen you in a while," said the old man behind the register.

The old man with 2 bottles of cheap run replied, "Been having hip trouble. Haven't been moving as well lately."

"Saw you moving kinda slow over there," commented the old man behind the register, "but you're still moving"

The old man with 2 bottles of cheap rum bragged, "Yup, at least I can still walk. How have you been?"

The old man behind the register rung up the order and said, "Lost my wife last month. So I've been having a rough time of it."

"I can't imagine. I'm sorry for your loss," offered the old man with 2 bottles of cheap rum, as he handed over his cash.

"Yeah," the old man behind the register took the payment, "she'd been sick for a few years so I half expected it..."

The conversation continued but as I stood there in line with a cheap 6 pack in my arms bemoaning my horrible spring break, and impending tax debt I was moved by the conversation before me. Hearing the first man speak of losing his wife, and the other man claiming that he would be lost without his wife I realized that it can always be worse.

So my spring break was bad? So I owe money to the IRS? So what? At least I have a loving wife and family, a neurotic dog, new siding on the apartment, a job that I don't hate yet, and a couple cans of cheap beer. The sun is shining.

No comments: