Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ah Nature

Yesterday I left the house on a dreary, rainy morning as I headed over to my brother's house. I was going to babysit for a little while before taking my nephew to see a movie.

As I came creeping around a bend in the road in my neighborhood I see what appears to be a huge blackbird frantically flapping its wings and flopping around the wet roadway. I slowed the car to a crawl assessing the situation when suddenly the bird flips over and I see a second head, and another set of wings. What I originally took for a wounded blackbird, was actually two blackbirds locked in battle that had fallen to the street below. The birds flapped their wings viciously, scratched with their talons, and pecked with their beaks trying to wound each other. By this time I had stopped my car and was watching for several seconds before finally, having had enough, I honked my horn.

I had places to be, and people to see I couldn't be held up by a pair of sparring blackbirds.

The two birds, startled by the horn, lept to their feet and started to fly away still swiping at each other and darting back and forth as they disappeared into the trees. I put the car into gear and started off again with a thought, 'Maybe they were mating.'

No comments: