Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Case of The Coffee Surprise

Our hero sits at his computer, working on a story. Next to him a steaming coffee cup sits precariously close to the edge of the cluttered desk. He intently reviews what he has written so far, as he absentmindedly sips his cup of joe.

The orange coffee mug is replaced; still dangerously near the brink. Our hero returns to typing. He is in the zone. The story almost writes itself.

The coffee mug is raised to his lips again and he tips his head back to drain the dregs of the cup. Maybe he should reheat another mugful. The desk chair scoots back on the blue carpet and our hero gets to his feet. Break time...

What's this? In the bottom of the mug?

Our hero looks deep into the mug and there on the ceramic bottom lies half of a piece of farfalle. The bow tie pasta has absorbed some of the coffee and shows a dark molasses tinge to its surface. Somehow the pasta must have found its way into his cup between the coffee machine, the microwave and the desk.

But how? How did that get in there?

The mystery may never be solved.

***PS. Later the mystery is solved when the wife returns home.***

The mug in question, which I left sitting next to my computer yesterday morning after emptying it, was actually used by my wife as a trash bin when she dropped a farfalle on the rug yesterday at lunch.

Now I know what you're thinking. What, you used a dirty mug? It was early. I was tired, and the mug was sitting where I left it so I wrongly assumed that it was fine to drink coffee from - I drank coffee from it only yesterday morning.

Lesson learned. I will always get a new mug each morning from now on. I will always check the bottom of my cups, glasses, and mugs for discarded pieces of pasta. Life goes on.

No comments: