Tuesday, September 02, 2008

What's Wrong?

Kidney surgery was a success. I've been waiting two and a half weeks to go in and see my urologist again and have him take out the stitches that are still in my lower back. We also need to see how the left kidney has recovered from the surgery and schedule a time for them to pull out my uretal stint. My appointment was for today, 9/2 at 2PM. The urology office called me on Friday afternoon and informed me I would need a referral from my local doctor for my follow up urology appointment. Even though this is a post-op appointment apparently it isn't covered under my insurance unless I get a referral. I don't understand. (Of course I don't understand why I see a doctor here in Annapolis, a Urologist in White Marsh, or Woodlawn, and have my procedures done in seperate facilities in Towson either. There has to be a simpler way.) Anyway, there was a rush to get the referral in before the holiday weekend so I could keep my urology appointment today. Calls were made, messages exchanged and I find out first thing this morning that a referral was sent -

TO THE WRONG DAMN DEPARTMENT IN THE WRONG DAMN FACILITY!

A referral was sent to the nephrology department at the place where I had my procedure. I needed it sent to my urologists' office in Towson; a urology referral. When I called to have it corrected I was told that generally referrals take 2-3 business days, I've had to move my appointment to next Monday morning now, and tally up another missed day of work thanks to the less-than-simple conundrum that is health insurance. (Even if I got cleaned up and went in for a half day I'd spend two hours on the road for three remaining hours of school.)

Oh well, maybe I'll hang around the apartment and try and accomplish a few things locally. At least my dog seems to have recovered from her bout with indigestion.

No comments: