Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sarah Connor Was Right!

Technology will be the end of mankind! *

EXAMPLE 1:

This morning I babysat my niece and nephew. As per usual during the course of the my time with the rugrats Savannah catches a glimpse my cell phone and wants to play with it. She likes the ring tones. She likes for me to take pictures and videos. She likes to pretend that she is calling someone. She likes to randomly push buttons.

My cell phone is not working correctly. I can receive calls. I can make calls. I just can't hear or be heard during those calls. Ever since I got the phone back from her sticky little paws I can't get the phone to work right. If I use my ear piece, handless, everything is fine. I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out how her random button pressing has handicapped my phone.

Then I remember that recently, since she last had my phone, my keyguard was disabled. I don't remember doing that. Don't really know how I reactivated it today to correct the problem. Plus, I realized a few days ago that my inbox for my text messages was mysteriously wiped clean without my noticing it. Changes in my cell phone alarm me. I feel so violated - by a 2 year old cyber-criminal.

EXAMPLE 2:

Tropical Storm Hannah marches across the area and many homes are left without power... including my brother's who had a fantasy football draft scheduled for 10 PM. Needless to say a power outtage interferes with a computer draft. My brother was beside himself.

At 9:57 my cell phone rings and I answer it, using my handy dandy ear piece, and say, "You want me to draft for you, don't you?" He did. So for the next hour and a half I relayed the comings and goings, the selected picks, and random smack talk of the espn fantasy football draft to my brother who was coaching me over the phone.

The world order has been usurped my modern age technology. Grown men rendered helpless by the unexpected change in their technologically dependent routine.

Discombobulation. Stress! Techno-rage!

*Sarah Connor is a reference to the Terminator movies in which computers and man clash in a battle for survival. It is not a direct quote.

No comments: