Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sex Is The Word!

I realized today that I have never seen the movie Grease unedited. When I was a kid we had it taped off of public television and I would pop in the VCR tape quite frequently. Needless to say the censors chopped it all up, and even cut out the entire Greased Lightning sequence.

In high school when I performed in a production of the show I noticed a few of the differences between the stage play and the screenplay. I had a better grasp of the adult humor and sexual references but we were still teenagers so they edited for content, as well - we weren't aloud to say, "Pussy Wagon". Too Bad.

Today I got out of bed, for the second time, and switched on the tube. There was the opening sequence to the movie so I sat down, as a 33 year old man, and watched the entire movie. (Okay, I took a bathroom break during Beauty School Dropout.) I was pleasantly shocked by all of the blatant sexual references. I was amazed at all of the TBirds' crude gestures and comments. I smiled when Danny Zuko called Rizzo 'sloppy seconds'. I laughed out loud when Kenickie discovers the condom he bought in seventh grade will no longer do the trick. I guess even teenagers back in the 50's had sex.

If you'd have asked me that question when I was a kid I would have foolishly said, "No Way. Everyone at Rydell High is a virgin and Rizzo immaculately conceived." Thank You Very Much Censors!

No comments: