Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MAG 3

My doctor doesn't believe that my left kidney is fully functional. He's not sure at what capacity my kidney is operating and so he ordered a MAG 3 Test. After missing my veins twice, in two different spots, an IV is finally inserted into my arm, I am pumped full of a Nuclear Isotope, and then I lie on the machine for 30 minutes as the isotope is filtered through my kidneys, and eventually pools into my bladder. I could see the display of the machine. I was able to track the progress of the isotope through my kidneys and into my bladder. Even to my untrained eye it was obvious that the right kidney, which shown brighter, was filtering more of the formula than my left, which at times was almost invisible on the screen. As more of the isotope wound up in my bladder it started to show brighter against the dark background, but the left kidney was only a dull presence on the screen, as I was soothed by the sounds of Lite 101.9FM oozing over the sound system. I wondered at the potential results of the test as Bryan Adams serenaded me with 'Everything I Do'.

No comments: