Saturday, May 24, 2008

Damn You Spielberg! Damn You Lucas!

(* May contain a tiny spoiler.)

Just saw the latest Indiana Jones movie. Maybe my expectations were too high...

Without ruining the movie for anyone who has not seen it I will just say that just because we have the technology to do amazing special effects with CGI does not mean that we should ruin movies with it. I hate when movies have completely superfluous effects 'just because'. (EX: King Kong - There's a dinosaur stampede scene that lasts for an eternity 'just because'.) Some of the CGI in this movie was necessary I guess, but Shia LeBouf swinging through the jungle with a pack of wild monkeys 'just because' was BEYOND RIDICULOUS!

I'm not sure what Spielberg and Lucas were hoping for when they decided to bring back Indiana Jones but I sure they didn't envision audience members groaning in there seats. I groaned at least 5 times during this movie, granted, not as many groans as Temple of Doom, which has a campy appeal, but five times too many for me.

No comments: