Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Smell A Rat

Take a second and read the post below... Go ahead, I'll wait.

Finished? Okay... let's continue.

I suspect sabotage. I have a class that has been working on a musical to perform at the end of May, and as I've said before I realize that May is a busy time of year for teachers, but I expect a little support in my endeavors. There is a teacher who, recently, has intentionally scheduled field trips for days when he knows the show is rehearsing. Several of his students have substantial roles in the show. I even sent out an email asking for teachers to be courteous and try not to miss rehearsals. This Friday was to be our last rehearsal before the performance; what does the teacher do? They have a field trip. The last scheduled rehearsal and he's taking his students away from class for a field trip.

Maybe I'm making to much of it. Maybe... I don't think so. I have spoken to his classroom staff (they actually attend my class with the students)and each of them has told me that they fought for the rehearsal; they made sure he knew that it was important. It didn't matter. I've also been told by several sources, including my predecessor, that this particular teacher wants my job. I knew before I came to this school that he wanted the job. It's been obvious all year that he thinks he should have the job, and thinks he'd be better qualified. He's even remarked to others that I only got the position because I knew the person who previously had my job.

So the performance is scheduled for next week. The show is not ready. It just isn't. The end of the year has come too quickly. It will have to be a staged reading. The students will have to be prompted. The blocking is minimal and I'm not quite sure how well it will go.

I'm not blaming it all on this particular teacher. It's not his fault alone. Many things have interfered with the production of this show, he just happens to be one of the obstacles. The responsibilty will ultimately be mine.

I have to remind myself that it's a school performance, that it won't be perfect, and next year I will know better.

No comments: