Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Day 4

Even though I started my new job a week ago I have only had 4 days with the kids due to parent/teacher conferences, and the election. Just when I thought I would never miss waiting tables...

  • Day starts out and 3 out of 4 para-professionals called in sick. It was a rainy & dismal morning.
  • Only 3 of my students actually make it into school today, so I start to think that maybe things won't be too bad.
  • 2 of my boys start off on the wrong foot; lashing out, tantrums, screaming, etc.
  • My other student decides that he, too, should be getting some of the attention. So he takes off his shoes, starts hitting other students, throwing things across the room , and snatching items out of my hands. He just wants attention. He wanted attention ALL DAY LONG!
  • The Capper: (How do I write this tastefully?) Today I changed and cleaned a 13 year old boy after he *** cough, cough *** soiled himself. This was the exact moment when I yearned for an obnoxious patron or an irrate line cook. I can take their crap.
Tomorrow's another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, brother.

I'm also laughing hysterically at the irony and justice in the world.

But mostly I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, reading about your new job (Blog locator courtesy of Linda) reminds me very much of my old job. I worked with 4 adult males with similar behaviors and had bins of paperwork that needed to be completed. I was challenged with things that I never thought I would do, including lots of cleaning, which you have already experienced. As far as your students, you’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll be able to predict what behaviors will occur depending on their moods or need for attention and how quickly you’ll learn how to react (or not react) to them in order to deescalate the situation. Congratulations! I am so excited for you and Sara – and I’ll definitely be out to visit!
Nikki-cousin of the girlfriend.