Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day 2

Today was a little more eventful than yesterday. Today I got to see the flip side of the coin. Slapping. Spitting. Throwing objects. Tantrums. It's fine. We'll deal with it all as it comes.

Many of my co-workers keep making comments to me about the job I've accepted, the difficulty of the task, the atmosphere in the school that might scare some people, and more than a handful of people joke with me about not showing up for work the next day. Apparently, it's a common occurence.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not scared of the kids. When they start swinging I duck or block. When they scream I wait for them to finish. It's all part of the game. These kids sometimes lash out. It's what they often do. You just accept it and move on.

The hardest part of this job so far is the fact that I am over 700 miles away from my girlfriend. It sounds cheesy but it's true. When something happens I want to share it with her. When I have doubts I want her to assure me. Text messages, and phone calls help but I can't wait until she is able to leave Chicago and come live here with me. That's always been the plan.

No comments: