Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Nice To Meet You... Again

I was a little nervous this weekend before I walked into my friend's 30th birthday party. We used to work together and neither one of us has been really good about keeping in touch. As often happens you drift apart, and some people are less understanding than others. This friend however was great. Her face lit up, and she was genuinely glad to see me. She kept saying that she wasn't sure if I would make it because I didn't respond to the Evite, which I seldom do. Then other familiar faces started to show up, old friends and acquaintances that I haven't seen in years. Updates were given, congratulations handed out, sympathies offered, etc. All in all it was a pretty fun evening.

Sunday was a completely different story as I began to feel slight twinges of pain in my lower back. As the day progressed the pain became worse until the all too familiar realization hits me. My kidneys. Here we go again. Over the next 24 hours the pain washed over me in waves; ebbing and flowing. I couldn't sleep. I had a hard time walking. I'd almost forgotten. It has been 6 years since I've had to deal with the medical problem, and I finally have health insurance. I should probably look into seeing a doctor before I end up hooked to an IV and draining fluid out of my back... again.

No comments: