Monday, April 24, 2006

Sidewalk Chalk is truly amazing.


Not the actual invention, or the idea behind the invention, or even the person who came up with the idea behind the invention, but rather the possibilities that a box of sidewalk chalk offers. You can draw anything. You can write your name. You can spend endless hours creating worlds, beautiful landscapes, and majestic animals only to move onto the next empty sidewalk tile and start anew.

My nephew was visiting this weekend, he's 2, along with my sister and my mom. Yesterday we packed up the family, including my other brother and his wife, and hopped on a Metra train bound for the western suburbs. My cousin, and her daughter, also 2, were in town staying with my Aunt & Uncle, so we decided a get together was needed. The weather was beautiful, the children got along great, balls were kicked, lollipops licked, and there was no shortage of high pitched little giggles.

At one point someone held up a pail of Side Walk Chalk and said, "Let's go draw on the sidewalk." Cool. Next thing I know I'm more engrossed in the activity than the two toddlers. My cousin would draw a cat. I had to draw a Pig. My nephew scribbled lightning bolts through every image as my mother demanded a tiger to be drawn for the kids. I drew a tree. A rising sun. A Snail. My cousin's daughter asked for fish, I drew an entire aquarium scene... and I would've done it without any prompting. I had a blast.

I wish my nephew lived closer, if only just so I'd have an excuse to buy some Sidewalk Chalk!

1 comment:

LC Greenwood said...

Why do you need an excuse? Go get yourself some sidewalk chalk, get your woman and go do some chalk draw-rings.