Friday, January 27, 2006

Dear Oprah!

The book was given to me by someone who saw it on your show. I'd rather watch Maury.
I liked the book!
I still like the book.

Did I think that every single detail, and nugget of information was 100% accurate? No. Then again, I'm not a moron. I understand how writing works. I understand that authors/writers often exaggerate details, change names, or embellish an otherwise dull moment.

I am amazed however at your recent change of heart. You supported a writer. You came to his defense as a human being, and a recovering addict. Now you backpedal and go on the offensive to save a little face.

The funny thing is...

This author(I'll read the sequel) has sold millions of copies of his book thanks to you. There's no denying it. Sold millions more thanks to that website who 'exposed' him. Sold even millions more from your continuing expert 'journalistic' endeavors. That's a lot of books.

I'm actually writing a book myself, plus several scripts, and a few screen plays. I would like to schedule a lunch meeting, with you to possibly discuss how we could pull off our own little unimportant, yet extremely lucrative media circus, 'duped' celebrity type scenario.


Sincerely,
Me
P.S. Next time you give away free crap to your audience can I get a few tickets. I love free crap!

2 comments:

Pick a peck of pickled Peck said...

The problem with all this is the author tried to pass the ENTIRE book off as fact, which when it comes to a question of ethics, that's just not acceptable. I think Oprah was right to berate him on public television. Perhaps this will be a long-awaited wake up call to anyone who feels they can get away with duping the public for profit.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I actually couldn't give a rat's ass! Besides, no publicity is bad publicity. And it's great to see a crack in Oprah's armor for a change.

T. Cobb said...

Checki It Out!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/01/AR2006020101837.html?referrer=emailarticle