Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's Shakin'?

The earth, apparently.

The projector started to shake. The water in the fish tanks started sloshing all around. The students looked around the classroom bewildered as my knees or the floor buckled several times. Then I blurted out, "Earthquake!" That doesn't have the calming effect one would think it might have!

An earthquake, you might ask, unless you were living on the East Coast yesterday and felt the effects of the 5.9 shaker that originated in Mineral, VA. I've never been in an earthquake and, I have to admit it was pretty surreal. Time between the 1st rumblings and the last trembles has warped for me; it seems like it took forever but was over in the blink of an eye.

And now the area is bracing for the approach of Hurricane Irene! Will she or won't she, that little tease?

No comments: