Tuesday, August 30, 2011

No Isabel!

Irene has come and gone and while it was an 'experience' it wasn't as devastating or as frightening, in my opinion, as Hurricane Isabel back in 2003. During that hurricane I was trapped in my parents' house with my dad as the Bay waters kept rising, the waves crashed over the sea wall, and the wind thrashed and roared all though out the dark night. This time around we hosted my dad, and he sat with us in a darkened, powerless apartment as we listened to the storm raging outside. I don't think the storm hit us as hard as I was expecting.

With that said we did lose power and remained powerless for several days; the electricity just coming on Monday evening. What an inconvenience/pain in the butt that has been. Fridge filled with suspect foods, weird smells, and prepared meals just going to waste! School is still out here in the county, and many homes are still without power. It is in sympathy with these unfortunate souls that I am raiding my pantry today and eating stored Hurricane rations of potted meats/fish and crackers for lunch, instead of running out to the grocery store with money I don't have... well, okay so maybe the finances do have something to do with it.

Many trees in the neighborhood are down, cars and houses damaged, power lines still down and people wandering the streets surveying the destruction. I'm not sure what has happened to the rest of the eastern seaboard since I haven't seen a news broadcast since before Irene came ashore, but I know that it could have been much worse around here. I did have a minor heart attack when I awoke to find a tree gently resting on my car. It wasn't a large tree, didn't cause any damage and was quickly and easily enough removed. We were fortunate.

No comments: