Thursday, October 29, 2009

Life's Little Surprises

I once claimed on a Facebook survey that I had seen every single episode of M+A+S+H! I was wrong! (My father was always a big fan of the show, and I remember always watching it with him. Pleasant memories.) Tonight, after a discouraging day of job searching, and rehearsal I returned home to enjoy an episode of Top Chef: Las Vegas and a glass or two of Seagrams 7: straight up.

M+A+S+H was on the guide, and I always check the episode info. This particular episode was entitled simply: 'Hawkeye'. Alan Alda's character, after a jeep crash, seeks shelter with a Korean farmer and his family. He spends the entire episode delivering a monologue to ward off a concussion. The Korean farmer & his family can only look on in wonder.

Hawkeye talks about everything from the bones of the skull, Yankee Doodle Dandee, whitefish, South Pacific: The Musical, and the wonders of the human thumb. The Roman Caesars could decide your fate with a flick; your dead or I'll see you at the orgy later! The only other language spoken in the episode besides his monologue, for the most part, wass Korean.

I was in awe of Alan Alda's performance. Now some people feel that he 'ruined M+A+S+H in the later years, I know, but I have always been a big fan. I even enjoyed his memoir about stuffing a dead dog. (It's a book, people.) Some people might not have liked the episode. According to shareranks.com it was #6 in the top M+A+S+H episodes. To me it was just a pleasant surprise to watch an episode for the first time.

No comments: