Sunday, October 25, 2009

Does A Drill Sergeant Poop In The Woods?

5 Vietnam Vets walk into the woods - Let me start over. 5 guys playing American soldiers in Vietnam decided to go camping as a cast bonding exercise. Western Maryland in October is a far cry from the jungles of Vietnam but a night of roughing it in the woods appealed to the motley crew.

So we packed up our gear, the beer and drove out to the Green Ridge State Forest. It was a fun trip. We bottomed out 1 of the 2 cars on a back country road before even reaching our camp ground. Then we spent hours in the woods telling tales, playing games, and drinking beer. After an excessive amount of beer was imbibed we all crawled off into the tent and curled up in our sleeping bags.

It was not a good night for me. I couldn't get comfortable sleeping on the tent's floor. I couldn't get warm in the borrowed sleeping bag I used. My tent mates were also snorers in a big way. I tossed and turned and shivered all night. Around 6 AM still awake with a swollen bladder and a pounding headache I stumbled from the tent, relieved myself on the side of a tree and climbed into the front seat of my car to sleep in relative peace and comfort.

We woke, stoked up the fire, cooked breakfast (I made scotch eggs) and cleaned up our area. It was clear that some of us were ready to hit the road pretty early. Others wanted to linger on a bit longer and enjoy the brisk morning. I just wanted to sit next to the fire and nurse my hangover but the coffee all boiled away!

So we packed up the cars. Barely made it back to Annapolis in 1 piece; the 1 car still suffering from the bit of off-roading. I bid adieu to my cast mates, came home and slept under 3 blankets! I couldn't even hear myself snore.

No comments: