Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Tale Of 2 Services!

I always remember there being 2 separate services at the church. The early service was always referred to back then - and may still be now - as the 'Folk' service. It was very bohemian; lots of tambourines, clapping and a younger crowd. The late service was called just that and was much more of a solemn, traditional worship with hymns, and the older congregants. My mother used to threaten us with the late service when we were kids. "If you don't get up now we'll miss the 'Folk' service! Then we'll have to go to the late service!" We'd fly out of bed and into our Sunday's Best!
It was just one of those things I remember about the church. 'Folk' service = my friends, upbeat music, and getting out earlier. Late service = old people, hymns, and pipe organ!
Today Sara and I attended the late service because directly after the service a ceremony was to be held in the memorial garden behind the church. There is a brick walkway that is adorned with the names of people who have passed away. Every year there is a dedication ceremony and my mother was among those honored at today's ceremony.
The sun came out, people gathered in the garden and a bell was rung after each name was read aloud. It was tough to be back in that church where I grew up, and later my mother became a valuable part of that 'family'. I haven't been back to the church since her memorial service and many familiar faces greeted us during the service. One woman even said to me, "I miss her everyday." It was a very sweet sentiment but part of me wanted to spitefully respond, "Wow, imagine what we must be feeling." Instead I smiled, thanked the woman, and appreciated the beautiful afternoon that the day had become.
* I almost forgot. As Sara and I were driving to church we stopped at a red light. We were talking about Mom and the church when suddenly a new song came on the radio. The first line was, "Well, I got a gal named Sue..." The 2 of us laughed as Ritchie Valens sang 'That's My Little Suzie' all the way to church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ty! You always grasp the moment to become unforgettable.
a