Thursday, February 07, 2008

Singing Shakespeare

Last night Sara performed a few songs at a lecture on Shakespeare's works converted into musical theatre. Along with a handful of other performers she sang songs from West Side Story, Boys From Syracuse, and Kiss Me Kate between informative blurbs by the guest speaker.

Let me tell you, my wife was one of the stronger performers. Several people afterwards complimented her on her voice. (It's beautiful.) Since Sara has only been in one show in Annapolis she is fairly unknown in the Naptown Theatre Scene. I heard a woman, I'm guessing she was a big-wig at Colonial Players, ask Sara's former director about her... the director explained that she was in the summer show, '...with the long blond wig.' The big-wig instantly knew who the director was talking about, "Ooh, that was her? She's wonderful. Great voice." I just sat back and smiled.

A funny little side note, the performance was at the Colonial Players, a local theatre here in Annapolis. The last performance I attended there I believe I was in high school, and the space brought back a few memories.

As I was waiting for my wife to accept the praise and adoration of the audience a guy crept up to my seat and asked me, "Excuse me, did you go to Towson University?" Turns out that this guy David (I believe) went to college with me. I don't believe we knew each other but he remembered seeing me in shows in college and knew several of my friends. He was shocked to see me at a performace in Annapolis because he'd thought I was out in LA. Now,I'd visited LA several times since graduation and know many people acting out there but I never made it past Chicago on my westward migration. The fact that this guy whom I don't really know had heard that I was acting out in LA made me laugh for some reason.

No comments: