Monday, June 04, 2007

Family, Crabs, Remote Control & A Baklava Sundae

Friday night was my mother's retirement party. I was amazed to see all of the people who attended to show their support for my mother. Co-workers, friends, family members, and various others. Everyone was their for one reason and one reason only - To Celebrate My Mother.

There were touching stories, tributes, and a slide show. My mother cried several times even though she insisted that no one should cry because it was a celebration. It was a fun time.

On Saturday we all got together at my parents' house and had a cookout/crabfeast. Aunts and Uncles, Nieces and Nephews, and the children running around like maniacs. I bought a little Dragon Kite to fly for my nephew. It ended up in the bay. I fished it out but it was lame having lost a leg.

On Sunday I went to a picnic - it was a lovely day for a picnic, wasn't it? - to meet a group of young boys with whom I will be working over the Summer. It's a class to teach young children with disabilities to converse with others, and develop social skills. The boys were pretty nice, and they asked me to play Remote Control. Basically, you sit in the circle and someone has a remote control. When they point it at you and say, "Click", you have to start performing a TV show, commercial, news report, etc. When they lose interest or want to move on to the next person they say, "Click" and you have to stop. One of the boys, an Animal Planet Fanatic, kept doing documentary style introductions about lush tropical forests, fierce predators, and the clouded leopards named Ty. This Summer should be interesting.

We finished off the weekend by attending a GreekFest at a Church near my brother's house. We got in at the tail end of celebration and there was no Ouzo left, but we did enjoy some Spanikopita, Pasticcio, and a Baklava Sundae that was very popular with the nephew. The pouring rain didn't damper our adopted Grecian Pride as we sat beneath a tent and watched the children dance to the extraordinarily loud Greek Music pumping through the speakers.

It was an eventful weekend.

No comments: