Thursday, May 24, 2007

Now I Get It... I Think...

Today I took another look at one of my first produced plays. It's called Sully, My Sweet and it's still one of my favorites.

Brief synopsis: Sully is an uninspired poet who is trapped between his past and present relationships. He must choose between the woman he used to care about and the girlfriend he doesn't know how to love.

A friend of mine, also a writer, saw the show and said to me, "I never realized how religious you are."

The comment was never explained. Upon further reading of the script, I think I have figured out why he made that remark.

In the script there are scenes where Sully reads postcards from Kate, his ex. Sully had manufactured a 'Taming of The Shrew' parallel in their relationship and she often is often referred to in Shakespeare's words. She is called 'My Super Dainty Kate. Kate, The Cursed. Kate of Katehall.' and 'The prettiest Kate in Christendom'.

It's the last one that I think fooled him. He's a pastor's son and maybe didn't get the reference to the Shakespeare play. Instead he might have heard something or other about the Kingdom of Christ!

That's not what I intended, but an interesting interpretation.

No comments: