Thursday, July 22, 2010

'Something's Missing'

This evening we attended a performance of my latest produced one act The Wrong Package. The one act is being produced as part of the Colonial Players of Annapolis' Singular Sensations One Act Play Festival. My script, among several other well-known, and original plays were put together for an entertaining 2 week run. The Wrong Package, directed by my friend Jacki was pretty well-received as it closed the 1st act of the night.

How did it go?

Well, 1st let me say that as a playwright whom had minimal involvement with the rehearsal it's always exciting, and nerve-wracking to see your script finally make it's way to the stage. I've always been happy that someone I know and trust was directing the play. Jacki gets my humor and understands where I'm coming from whenever we collaborate. The sound designer, however, is another story all together. Apparently, the sound person decided that the sound cue, music, that ends the show needed to come in earlier than it was written, and or director to be and so covered the last line of dialogue.

I think it's an important line.

Now I'm not one of those writers who takes themselves and their 'words' too seriously. I don't think. I understand that lines may be changed night by night in tiny little ways, or even misspoken. That happens. But when a playwright purposely book ends his script - begins and ends the show with the exact same line of dialogue - it is done for a purpose; it isn't an accident. Then again if a botched sound cue is my biggest complaint about the performance than I guess things could always be worse. I enjoyed seeing the characters come alive onstage, and I acknowledge the hard work and preparation that went into the production. I was pleased... except for the sound cue.

No comments: