Tuesday, July 20, 2010

'Chi-Town, Baby!'

This past Thursday Sara and I got up at the crack of dawn and hit the road; Chicago Bound! One of her best friends from college was getting married and Sara was not only a bridesmaid but singing in the wedding as well. We made excellent time and arrived in the city just in time to sit in afternoon rush hour traffic on 90/94 but at least we had a great view of the city. We did make a small detour off of the PA Turnpike to visit the site of the World's Largest Big Mac, but that didn't affect our travel time too much.

We then got to Bert and Stephanie's apartment, in our old neighborhood, dropped off our bags, made a few calls and headed out for a tapas dinner at my old job, Cafe Ba Ba Reeba. It was delicious. It also helped that several of my old friends are still working there. A few hours later we were riding the EL Train back to the couch and a much needed good night's sleep.

Friday Sara and I went to an old neighborhood hang out for a cup of coffee and some breakfast. We just sat on the patio and watched the traffic go by as we enjoyed our scone and caffeine. A few hours later I dropped Sara off to take care of some Wedding errands, and I was given the rest of the day off. After driving back to the city - the hotel, and Wedding Reception where I left Sara was over an hour south of Chicago - I walked around the old neighborhood, visited a few haunts, and chilled out for a bit. Later on that evening I met up with some married friends and met their son, Logan, for the first time. He was a cool baby. Then I ran over to a nearby bar and visited with a buddy before Bert and Stephanie showed up for a few drinks. We toasted our mother after realizing that it was her birthday, and then went home and played their WII until the sun came up.

Saturday, I awoke a little worse for wear, and eventually worked my way into my suit, dragged my butt into the car and then drove over an hour west, out North Ave, to Oak Park, IL, and the Wedding. It was a beautiful church, Catholic ceremony...long, and Sara sounded amazing with her 2 songs. Soon our friends were husband and wife, and I got back into the car to drive over an hour south to the hotel. Then I took a 20 minute shuttle to the wedding reception. Needless, to say my patience was pretty thin at this point, and the wait at the bar did not help. However, it was a very important day for our friends so I had a few beer, let go of my tension, and danced the night away. I split my time between my lovely wife, and a 5 year old girl who thought I was an amusement park ride. Sara split her time between her tired husband and a pack of gay men who thought she was fabulous.

Sunday, we woke up, checked out and drove up to a White Castle! Hmmmmmm! Then we drove all the way back to the north side of the city. Bert and Stephanie had planned a cookout and some friends showed up and we just enjoyed a nice sunny day in Chicago. Sara and I really miss it. Several hours later, many Old Styles, and some quality time with the Bellas, friends, we went to bed dreading the long drive back.

So bright and early Monday morning we get up, pack the car and head out of the city. We stopped by our coffee shop and bumped into an old friend. Then we hit rush hour on Lake Shore Drive, and it was wonderful. I sit in traffic on the Beltway here in MD every day, but Lake Shore Drive as the sun's shining down on the lake, and the city is waking up was not so bad. Then we headed east! 15 hours later; after several traffic jams, pit stops, and, did I mention 15 cramped hours in a car?, we arrived home.

It's always hard leaving the Chicago; driving away and watching the skyline disappear into the background. It was a wonderful, jam-packed few days in a great city that we both love.

No comments: