Thursday, April 15, 2010

Book Recommendation

Recently I listened to the audio book THE GLASS CASTLE by Jeanette Walls. I enjoy a good memoir every now and again.

This book was fascinating on so many levels. It's the story of a young woman who grew up in a rootless family, with two self-absorbed, and unreliable parents. I was amazed by the candor in which she told her story. She described the family picking up and leaving town in the middle of the night on several occasions, she wrote of the many times the children in the family went hungry because the father spent the grocery money of hooch, and she told about her struggle to rise above the poverty and make something of herself.

It was an inspirational story. It was a frustrating story. There were moments when I wanted to throw the audio book out of my car window and into rush-hour traffic. The level of the selfishness that the Walls parents displayed, the eccentric self-centered neglect of their children, and the repeated disappointments and heartaches suffered by the children. I don't want to go into too much detail, in case you would like to read the book yourself, but suffice it to say I was disgusted at times, but always intrigued.

No comments: