Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Short Version

So I'm not sure what time period it was supposed to be but the ramshackle dwelling was filled with a small family wearing dirty nightshirts, rags, and such. There was a general sense of unrest. Sara figures out the code. Letters and numbers she deciphers! We'll be able to contact the rebels. The code says, 'Wipe Your Windows'. The windows are caked with filth. So we grab what ever cloth is handy and wipe the glass clean. (For some reason there is a translucent image of Al Capone on the aged pane.)

A knock at the door!

I rush everyone else out of sight and open the door. Several young men stand there with rifles. They want to examine the dwelling. I ask for identification. They seem disappointed and start to leave. Sara comes out of hiding and invites them in. The men look around. I believe they were expecting a trap. We are invited to join the revolution but must pick up immediately and leave our lives behind; one by one fleeing into the night with only a few essentials.

The decision has already been made. I start to look around what is now my childhood home - hoping to find something important. I can't leave without evidence of who I am. Pictures, mementos, or even brick-a-brack. There's a slow sense of panic creeping over me.

Two of my students, twin girls, are also in the house. They are altered from reality... normal. They are telling a guerilla film crew -where did they come from?- that they are not afraid. We are all tired of living an oppressed existence, and they hope one day that their children will be able to hold their heads up high as they remember the struggle that others went through for freedom.

The door is opened and the moon beats down on a barren landscape as shadows scramble towards a new life. It's my turn. I need to escape.

!!!!!! THE ALARM RINGS!!!!!!! I drift awake.

No comments: