Monday, May 11, 2009

I Was In A Rush!

I was running errands. I needed to hurry, pick up dinner, and get home to walk the dog before heading out to rehearsal. I saw the whole thing happen.

2 employees of the Chinese restaurant left a case of Coke out in a shopping cart. They must've run over to the grocery store for supplies. They wheeled the cart up to the front door and took in as many cases as they could carry leaving 1 lone cases in the cart.

A thought flashed through my mind; briefly. Maybe I should help carry in the last case. I kept walking as I looked around. The only other people nearby was a teenage son and his mother walking some distance behind me. I didn't stop. I figured the waiter would be right back out for the case.

I opened the door to the another restaurant where I was picking up my to go order and I heard the teenager squeak, 'Take it ma. Take it!' I glanced up and saw the mother and son pausing around the cart. The mom saw me and started walking again.

I went in to get my dinner, and looked back out the storefront. The teenage boy is now walking next to his mother... carrying the case of soda. I shook my head and rolled my eyes as I watched them scurry to their car all the while looking back at the Chinese restaurant to see if they'd get caught. They got into their Subaru and sped off with their boosted caffeine.

I paid for my hot wings and walked out the door. The Chinese waiter was standing at the curb scanning the parking lot with a unbelieving grin on his face. I felt partially responsible but I didn't stop to explain.

No comments: