Monday, August 04, 2008

And Done...

One of my 'goals' for this Summer, when I am only working part time, was to read the Incarnations of Immortality Series by Piers Anthony. I have enjoyed his fiction since I was younger, and decided to read the original seven books in the series straight through, author's notes and all. The series which I have mentioned before is an entertaining science fiction/fantasy story wherein Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Evil, and Good are Offices which must be filled with qualified Mortals who perform the job, temporarily, as best they are able in order to help organize the Chaos that birthed our Universe. 2,435 pages later, I read the author's notes too, I am done.

Some books I sailed through, and others I took a little longer getting through the chapters. Some books I loved, while others were good but missing something. I did enjoy the world Piers Anthony created and revisiting key events through the different perspectives of the characters in each book. For example, the first book sets up the importance of this one character who several years into the future will play a key role in defeating Satan's plans for the world. This character and her importance are evident in each volume as different strategies are employed nullify her role. At times it was like reading about historical events through differing and often times contrasting perspectives. The portrayal of the Incarnations was fascinating especially that of the the man who became Satan, and the self-absorbed God who was too busy with self-contemplation to relate to the humans who prayed for his guidance.

Doesn't quite sound like the enjoyable Summer read that it actually was, I know, but I enjoyed it.

No comments: