Sunday, April 13, 2008

Why Do I Do?

Tonight my cousin's 12 year old daughter called to interview me. Why? She called to interview me because of my theatre background; cuz I'm an 'Actor'.

It's for a class project/paper. She asked 10 questions ranging from my full name to what advice I would give to an up-and-coming actor/actress. Standard interview questions.

The problem is that sometimes I don't just know the answers to the questions. I apologized several time to the polite interviewer, 'I talk a lot sometimes. Did I answer your question?'

Why did I get into theatre? I dunno... probably to get attention. Maybe because I wasn't very athletic...
What's my favorite part about being an actor? I dunno... being introduced to a new story, to new characters with every new show.
What's the worst part? Working three different jobs just so I can do a 'Professional' show for 5 weeks, and then walk away with a depleted bank account, bad reviews, and another character on the Resume.
What's the hardest part about being an actor? Dealing with the rejection; but you have to deal with it or you won't keep at it.

Self-Reflection is always a slippery slope for an actor/actress. Why do we do it?

Standard BS response is, 'To create art,' or 'Cause I can't imagine what else I would possible want to do'.

Probably just should've told her, 'Cause sometimes it's really fun, but sometimes it sucks... the parties can be cool... you'll meet interesting people... applause is very reassuring... I don't know... I talk a lot sometimes. Did I answer your question?'

No comments: