Sunday, April 06, 2008

BLOG BITE!

- A rare occasion, though it does it happen, when something one has recorded in their online blog is read by a person who may misinterpret the post, or may just take offense to said post.

Blog Bite happens occasionally. Once my brother took offense to a comment I made about his telephone habits. (I'll apologize now, since he is one of the handful of my readers. I'm sorry.) I usually try to keep things pretty vague in my writings, specifically, for this reason. I know of only a few family members and close friends who keep up with my posts, so I am always surprised when someone stumbles upon it.

Perfect example - a few weeks ago I wrote about an audition I attended. Without naming names I briefly summarized the events of the evening without a second thought. Then I was cast in the show, and at one of the rehearsals a castmate approached me and quoted my blog to me. The quote was about a dialect/accent that was used (by him) in the audition that I compared to a Muppet's voice. It never occured to me that if this castmate GOOGLED our show my post would appear and he could read my observations of the audition and decipher my purposefully vague critique.

Rehearsals are going well, and this castmate, whom, originally thought his own dialect/accent sounded like a Looney Tunes Martian is, I find, a talented actor. His accent has improved, and luckily he isn't one to hold a grudge because we share a lot of stage time.

No comments: