Monday, November 12, 2007

Pretentious?

Friday I attended a conference up in Baltimore. Non-public special educators came from all over the state to take part in the days seminars.

My 1st session was on teaching social skills. The material was pretty common sense but the speaker was very entertaining.

My 2nd session was on teaching poetry to special students. The guest speaker gave us several exercises, all of which dealt with writing about ourselves as a metaphor. Then she asked us to share our work. My coworker thought I should read mine but I quickly became aware of the skyrocketing pretension being exhibited in the room.

The poem was called an 'I Am' poem. You compare yourself to colors, animals, feelings, weather, etc. People soon became enamored of their own creativity, and the vanity of the poems became so overwhelming.

"I am the daughter of mother earth..."
"I am an eagle; proud and fierce."
"I am an original; never before seen."
"I am amazing..."
"I am a god..."

I didn't read mine. I don't think it was quite as pretentious as some of the others but I just didn't feel like shairing then.

I am the bastard son of ambition and sloth;
torn between embattled parents.
I am the promise of rain in the desert sky;
waiting.
I am the color of rust;
deep and burnt.
I am the smell of a familiar room you never wanted to leave.
I am the texture of worn sand paper;
not as abrasive as in my youth.
I am a camel;
plodding along with untapped reserves.
I am the taste of cinnamon;
a sharp bite followed by a lingering warmth.
I am grey;
the belly of a storm - the strength of steel.
I am the dream you forget upon waking and search for all through your day.
* A bit pompous I am sure.

No comments: