Friday, November 02, 2007

I Realize I'm Dreaming...

... at the point when I get completely overwhelmed. It's always the same kind of dream. I'm waiting tables. The restaurant is a hybrid of every place I've ever served at; familiar faces, routine, geography, nightly specials.

I'm back on the floor. I place an order and nothing goes right. The drinks are wrong! The food is burned! Someone knocks over my tray! I can't get my order from the kitchen. The customer is upset! The manager blames me! I suddenly feel completely out of control, and then somewhere in the back of my brain I realize, 'This is dream. This isn't real.'

I just never got that worked up at those jobs. Don't get me wrong. There were stressful shifts, when nothing seemed to go right but there was always a point where I could let go and decompress. I would reach a plateau, regroup and turn things around. In these dreams, I am completely unable to cope with anything. I'm drowning in my own anxiety. That's not me.

I also dreamed that I was standing in line, as requested by my sister-in-law, to buy a gift for my niece. It apparently was a hot item and tensions ran high in the line and people were not being very cordial. Then the line fell apart and it becomes clear to me that I was mistaken. The people aren't waiting to buy a toy for their children they are here for an extremely competive, and high-stakes auction. Something very valuable is going up on the block. Then the person next to me starts an argument, and then their auction paddle is suddenly transformed, under their mental control, into two sai type of ninja weapons. I fend off the attack as best I can with my flimsy auction paddle. I am in a hopeless confrontation. Suddenly, one of my students, the creative one, instructs me on how to transform my paddle into a broad sword. Suddenly the sword starts buzzing and I feel the power in it when I realize that the buzzing is actually the vibrating alarm on my phone.

I open my eyes.

No comments: